source of hope

The tougher the times, the greater the need to live a life of love for others.

Nearness. This is what I have felt today. This is what has been encouraging me deep, deep down. Nearness to the the source of real hope. Following an emotionally taxing night at the hospital, I was eager to be around the family of God in hopes of restoration. A time gap allowed for 1 Peter and a great cup of coffee to begin to warm my body and soul before heading to Karis. Hat on, hood up, focused eyes, open heart. There are times when I am aware of my need for something outside of myself to make it through each moment. This is always the reality, but I am only really aware of this at certain times. This morning I felt it in the fibers of my being. I could feel that by the end of my shift I was not loving my patients well, and I was going through motions. This realization is defeating. I know that there is no slacking when it comes to our call to live like Jesus, especially when life is really tough. Peter doesn't ease our burden by saying we don't have to live like Jesus during difficult times. Instead he writes something to equip us with the power to love.

He begins his letter saying: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" (1:3). The power of hope. If we are to love like Jesus loved, even in times of great stress and worry, then we must be filled with "living hope."

There are some things going on in life, that when I hear this kind of encouragement it provokes a resounding "Amen!" because this is what I've been looking for and needing to hold onto. This "living hope" is fertile, fruitful, and productive. It has power. It gives rise to change.

I needed this. I need this. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! There is great cause for celebration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment