Not Your Typical 24 Episode

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 4:00 A.M. AND 5:00 A.M.

I turned the corner and entered a patient's room. Stunned, my eyes laid witness to an elderly man, unbeknownst to his sleeping roommate, walking around without a single stitch of clothing. This was not the first time, nor do I believe it will be the last, for this particular crossroad. I have unknowingly developed a formula for how I respond to such interactions. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's get some clothes on you, sir (or ma'am)" seems to be my typical response. Disbelief --> some repeated interjection --> and a rush to politely clothe. 

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 8:00 A.M. AND 9:00 A.M.

While drinking a delicious Aztec hot chocolate, I write my thoughts about my first oncology practicum shift of my last semester in nursing school. I am almost done with school...really. Weird. Exciting. Unknown.

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 9:00 A.M. AND 6:00 P.M.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 7:00 P.M. AND 9:00 P.M.

Homework.

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 9:00 P.M. AND 10:00 P.M.


I receive a phone call from a friend with very sobering news. The dad of a very young friend is moving out. I don't know whether to be happy or sad...so I am both. The effects of this are unknown and weighty. I pray, "God, will you surround with your fatherly love, those children whose lives have been scarred, who have wounds that need healing, that they may learn that even if all others fail them, you really can be trusted? Transform pain into forgiveness, Jesus. You alone can bring healing and restoration. You alone are our hope."

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 1:00 A.M. AND 3:00 A.M.

As I read a book about marriage, instead of getting excited about the future, my spirit rejoices in the beauty of the gospel. Amen! I am excited for the future, but more so because I know that God has designed marriage to bring us closer to himself. This mystery is profound and I am thankful for eyes now that are allowed to glimpse into the riches and grace to be had, if God so wills.

THE FOLLOWING TAKES PLACE
BETWEEN 4:00 A.M. AND 5:00 A.M.

I type away at a keyboard and contemplate going to sleep. Yep, it's going to happen. Well, goodnight/good-morning.

1 comments:

Jimmy said...

Not enough guns. Or insane plot twists. And I didn't sense any angst-ridden yelling in every episode.

Not your typical episode of 24 indeed.

Post a Comment